You can assign a name to the current selection, and then later reselect those objects by choosing their selection name from a list.
Named Selection Sets
Editing Named Selections
As you model and create a scene, you’re likely to rearrange the objects making up your named selection sets. If you do, you’ll need to edit the contents of those sets.
- Select one or more objects or sub-objects using any combination of selection methods.
- Click in the Named Selection field on the main toolbar.
- Enter a name for your set. The name can contain any standard ASCII characters, including letters, numerals, symbols, punctuation, and spaces.
- Press Enter to complete the selection set.
- In the Named Selection field, click the arrow.
- On the list, click a name.
source : 3dsMax Help.chm